Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Smoothies!

I was going to have pasta for dinner tonight...but it is a little toasty in my apt. (I've been minimizing by AC use to save both energy and money). So I thought a fruit smoothie sounded more refreshing! I used orange juice as my base and then added a frozen berry medley (it was packaged that way) with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. Very tasty! I don't use recipes for smoothies but here are a few tips...
Always use a juice instead of water for your liquid...it adds more flavor and nutrients.
Use frozen fruits instead of ice...the more ice you use, the less potent the fruit flavor.
Smoothies are a great way to use old bananas because they get sweeter (and mushier) as they age...and we all need ways to use old bananas!


And...smoothies, much like milkshakes, always GROW while trying to get the consistency right. So you can pour the leftovers into a jar and stick it in the freezer for later.

1 comment:

Whit said...

Yum! I should call you at night and ask what's for dinner and then copy you ;-)